Sylvain Eloi Dessy
Professeur titulaire, Faculté des Sciences de l’administration
1025, avenue des sciences humaines,
Québec (Québec) G1V 0A6
Tel : 418 656-2131
Poste 6672 Télécopieur … 418 656-2707;
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- S Dessy, L Tiberti, M Tiberti, D Zoundi (2021), Polygyny and Farm Households Resilience to Climate Shocks, World Bank, Washington, DC.
- S Dessy, H Gninafon, L Tiberti, M Tiberti (2021) COVID 19 and school children resilience, GLO Discussion Paper 952.
- S Dessy, F Marchetta, R Pongou, L Tiberti (2020), Climate shocks and teenage fertitility, GLO Discussion Paper 490.
- Jean-Louis Bago, Sylvain Eloi Dessy (2020), Motherhood and female self-employment, Centre de recherche sur les risques les enjeux économiques et les politiques publiques. Disponible : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jean-Louis-Bago/publication/341297085_Motherhood_and_Female_Self-_Employment_Theory_and_Evidence/links/5eb997b3299bf1287f7fa9c0/Motherhood-and-Female-Self-Employment-Theory-and-Evidence.pdf
- S Dessy, F Marchetta, R Pongou, L Tiberti (2019), Fertility after the drought : theory and eviudence from Madagascar, CRREP working paper series
- S Dessy, F Marchetta, R Pongou, L Tiberti (2019) Fertility response aftre climate shocks, Partnership for Economic Policy Working Paper. Disponible : https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-02053100/document
- Monetary and Multidimensional Child Poverty: Why they Differ (with P. Ballon, J. Cockburn, and Setou Diarra), Journal of African Economies; Volume 27, Issue 4, 1 August 2018, Pages 483–512
- High-Powered Career and Marriage: Can Women Have It All? (with, H. Djebbari), The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policies (Advances), 2010, vol. 10, issue 1, pages 42.
- On the Mechanics of Trade-Induced Structural Transformation, (with F. Mbiékop and Stéphane Pallage) Journal of Macroeconomics, 2010, 32(1), 251-264.
- Gender Discrimination, Human Capital, and Marriage. (with Stéphane Pallage) Journal of African Development, 2009, 11(1), 61-76.
- Why Is Child Labor Illegal? (with John Knowles), European Economic Review, 2008, vol. 52, no 7, pp. 1275-1311.
- Debt Relief and Social Services Expenditure: the African Experience, 1989-2003, (with D. Vencatachellum) African Development Review, 2007, vol. 19, no 1, pp. 200-216.
- Some Surprising Effects of Better Law Enforcement against Child Trafficking, (with Stéphane Pallage) Journal of African Development, 2006, vol. 8, pp. 115-132.
- A Theory of the Worst Forms of Child Labour (with S. Pallage, Université du Québec à Montréal). The Economic Journal, 115 (500), pp. 68-87, 2005.
- Explaining Cross-Country Differences in Policy Response to Child Labour (with D. Vencatachellum), Canadian Journal of Economics, 2003, Vol 36(1).
- Taxes, Inequality and Informal Sector Size (with Stéphane Pallage), Journal of Development Economics, vol. 70 (1), 2003, pp. 225-233.
- Fertility, Education, and Market Failures (with Stephane Pallage), Journal of African Finance and Development, vol.5, no 2, 2002, pp. 1-16.
- Child Labor and Coordination Failures (avec Stéphane Pallage, Université du Québec à Montréal); Journal of Development Economics, 2001, vol. 62(1) : 261-275.
- A Defense of Compulsory Measures against Child Labor; Journal of Development Economics, 2000, vol. 62 (1) : 261-275.
- Davies, Victor A.B.; Dessy, Sylvain (2012), « The Political Economy of Government Revenues in Post-Conflict Resource-Rich Africa: Liberia and Sierra Leone », NBER Working Paper no 18539 , Cambridge, MA.
Submitted Papers and Working Papers
- Motherhood and Women’s Self-Employment: Evidence from Nigeria (with J.-L. Bago), second revision requested by Economic Development and Cultural Change
- Fertility Response to Climate Shocks (with F. Marchetta, R. Pongou, and L. Tiberti), under review
- The Bride-Price Custom and Child Marriage: Theory and from a Natural Experiment (with R. S. Diarra, L. Kuate and L. Tiberti), under review
- Land Tenure Security and Rural Non-Agricultural Employment: Theory and Evidence (with L. Diarra), under review
- Climate Shocks and Gender Differences in School Dropout Rates: Evidence from Malawi (with L. Tiberti and D.-A. Zoundi)
- COVID-19 and Children’s School Resilience: Evidence from Nigeria (with H. Gninafon, L. Tiberti and M. Tiberti), Working Paper.
- Polygyny and Farm Households’ Resilience to Climate Shocks (with, L. Tiberti, M. Tiberti, and D.-A. Zoundi), Working Paper.
- Women and Polygyny: Does Education Matter After All? (with, L. Tiberti, and D.-A. Zoundi), Working Paper.
- Early Childbearing and Within-Household Gender Inequality: Evidence from Brazil (with A. Kassouf and L. Tiberti)
- Cost-Effective Energy Policy with Heterogeneous Agents (with Landry Kuate)
Selected Media coverage of the article Dessy-Pallage, A Theory of the Worst Forms of Child Labour (Economic journal)
- Daily Telegraph, January 30, 2005
- The Scotsman, January 31, 2005
- BBC interview, January 31, 2005, 6: 48
- CBC interview, As it Happens, January 31, 2005
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), January 31, 2005
- Radio Canada International, Canada Today to Africa, February 22, 2005
- Calcutta Telegraph, February 1, 2005
- Sylvain Dessy (2018) Canadian Economic Association, June 1-3, McGill University.
- Sylvain Dessy (2018) Département de science économique, Université d’Ottawa, conférencier invité.
- Sylvain Dessy (2019) Congres de la Société canadienne de science économique, 5–10 mai 2019, ENAP Québec.
- Sylvain Dessy (2019) Journées CRREP/CDER, Université Laval, 11-12 janvier
- London School of Economics, London, UK, 1996
- University of Southampton, UK, 1996
- University of Essex, UK, 1996
- H.E.C., Montréal, February 1997
- Société canadienne des Sciences Économiques, Montréal, May 1997.
- Société canadienne des Sciences Économiques, Québec, May 1998.
- McGill University, February 1999.
- Université de Montréal, February 1999.
- Canadian Economic Association, Toronto, June 1999.
- Society for Economic Dynamics, Alghero (Italy), June 1999
- Canadian Economic Association, Vancouver, June 2000
- Journées de Microéconomie Appliquées (JMA 2000), Québec, Québec, June 2000
- Society for Economic Dynamics, San José, Costa Rica, July 2000
- Summer Institute, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), Cambridge, Mass,July 24-28, 2000
- Northeastern University Development Conference (NEUDC), Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, October, 2000
- Society for Economic Dynamics, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2001
- Northeastern University Development Conference (NEUDC), Boston
- University, Boston, Massachusetts, September 2001
- Université du Québec à Montréal, August 2001
- Georgetown University, October 2002
- Northeastern University Development Conference (NEUDC), Williams
- College, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 17-19 October 2002
- Ryerson University, February 2003
- Northeastern University Development Conference (NEUDC), Yale
- University, New Haven, Connecticut, October 2003
- Delta Paris, December 2004
- Toulouse School of Economics, December 2004
- Invited Speaker, Research Department, African Development Bank, February 2009
- 10th journées Louis-André Gérard-Varet, Aix-Marseilles, 20 – 22 juin, 2011
- Paris X, Pantheon Sorbonne, October 2011
- Guest Speaker, Department of Economic, University of Manitoba, October 2011
- Guest Speaker, Department of Economic, University of Victoria, February 2012
- Guest Speaker, Department of Economic, University of Calgary, October 2012
- African Economic Conference, Tuesday October 30, 2012 – Friday November 2, 2012. Kigali, Rwanda
- Canadian Economic Association, June 1-3, 2013, HEC Montreal
- Canadian Economic Association, June 3rd-5th, University of Ottawa
- Canadian Economic Association, June 1-3, 2018, McGill University
Axes de recherche au sein du Ciram
- PhD, Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, October 1995. Fields: Trade and development. Mac Arthur Scholar, MacArthur Interdisciplinary Program for Peace and International Cooperation, University of Minnesota
- Master’s degree in economics, Université de Yaoundé, Cameroon, 1986
- Bachelor degree in economics, Université de Yaoundé, Cameroon, 1985
Refereeing Experience in Peer-Reviewed Journal
- American Economic Review
- Economic Journal
- American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics
- European Economic Review
- Journal of Development Economics
- Canadian Journal of Economics
- Journal of Population Economics
- Journal of economic dynamics and Control
- Economics Letters
- Journal of Income Inequality
- Oxford Economics Papers
- Oxford Bulletin of Economic Research
- The B.E. Journal of Economic analysis and Policy
- Journal of African Economies
- Journal of African Development
- The Journal of Economics
- Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Economic Inquiry
- Review of Income and Wealth
- African Development Review
- L’Actualité Économique
- Israeli Science Foundation (ISF)
- World Bank Economic Review
- Professor of economics, Université Laval, 2008- present
- Co-director, CIRPEE, 2012-2014
- Director, Graduate Program, Département d’économique, Université Laval, 2009-2012
- Director, MA program in international relations, Université Laval, 2004 – 2007
- Associate professor of economics, Université Laval, 2001- 2008
- Assistant professor of economics, Université Laval, 1996- 2001
- Post-doctoral Fellow, London School of Economics, London UK, 1995-1996
Distinctions and Honors
Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, University of Ottawa, Fall 2018
Officer of the Canadian Economic Association, 2012 – 2016
Co-Editor, Actualité Économique, June 2016- 2020
Visiting Fellow, Paris School of Economics, Campus Paris-Jourdan December 2009
Member of the Child Labour Research Network, IPEC, ILO, Geneva, Switzeland
Fullbright-McArthur Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 1990-1995
- NBER Africa Project. Period: 2010-2011, with Victor A.B. Davies $60,000 US
- SSHRC. Period: 2008-2011, with Sabine Kroger. $44 000$
- FQRSC, Team-Grant. Period: 2004-2008, with Max Blouin, Nicholas Marceau, and Stéphane Pallage. $282,200$
- SSHRC. Period: 2006-2009, with Stéphane Pallage. $63,500
- SSHRC Grant No. 410-2001-1165. Period: 2001-2004, with Stéphane Pallage and Max Blouin. $65,750